balderdash & gobbledygook

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Something smells fishy

Last Sunday, my family (my dad, mom, 2 sisters & nephew), Kikka's Romanian coach, Lily with her husband Trian, and Marie, headed off to Cardona, Rizal, to spend the day fishing at Tina unnie & Binnie's fish pen. How UN-like (United Nations) can you get huh?

Anyway, it all started last Saturday when we (Me, Ia, Ela and Marie) went to the fishpen and spent the day there. When I arrived home, I told my dad about our trip. My dad, used to have a fishpen in Binangonan and was so excited and was listening with eagerness (i guess fishes bring him to a "frenzy." go figure!). Anyway, I asked Tina unnie if my dad could visit the fish pen and she said yes (as if she would ever say no). So my dad asks me if he could bring Trian along since Trian has been suffering from fishing withdrawal (he said he hasn't fished in 4 months) because Lily has been complaining that he was getting listless at home.

The day arrives and our merry group of 9 head off to Cardona (kikka is still in the US). First good news of the day: We didn't get lost!! woohoo!!! Our first stop was Tina and Binnie's house, where they tell me that Park Jung Shin gave us permission to fish in his fish pen (since Tina's pen only had fingerlings). Woot!! 2 good news less than 20 minutes apart! anyway, we head off to the port and park our vehicles and managed to fit ourselves onto the boat. When we arrived at the pen, Trian and Binnie busied themselves setting up their fishing rods while the others prepared lunch. My mom brought her chicken and pork adobo, Tina brought pancit lucban, and my dad made some fresh salad. My sisters and i brought chocolate cake for dessert. The guys hurried through lunch, aching to fish god knows what (since we weren't at Jung Shin's pen yet). Us girls just lounged around, enjoying the cool breeze while Ilai went back and forth to the men who were fishing and to us chatting. Suddenly, the guys were all excited when Trian managed to catch a kanduli. If you ask me it was just a small fish but the guys were excited (since they were fishing outside the pen) about it. Anyway, Trian caught 2 more before the hour ended. Binnie shifted locations and dropped his line near us. After a couple of minutes, he left the rod with Tina, then headed off to feed hie "babies" (the bangus fingerlings). Tina decided to join him and just propped the rod next to Marie. Marie suddenly told me that the line was moving. But everytime I turned, there was nothing. Marie kept insisting that there was something so I reeled in the line. To my surprise, something tugged at the line and that's when I realized that Marie was right! Anyway, it being the first time I fished, I was shrieking for the guys to help me since I had no idea what I was doing. Anyway, Trian manged to get the fish off the hook and I saw that that fish was the bigger than the 3 he caught!! woohoo!! Trian salutes me and said that he now considers me a fisherperson, even though I probably scared off all the other fish when I was shrieking. (^_^) So even if it was Binnie who baited the hook and dropped it into the water, Tina who swirled it around to attract fish, and Marie who saw the fish before anyone else, I still have a share in catching the fish since I reeled it in. Assa!

At around 1:30 PM, we head for Jung Shin's pen. After dropping us ladies (and Ilai) at the hut, the men head off for some serious fishing. We all just chat the afternoon away (my mom slept and Ela and I alternately joined her).












Then suddenly the sky grew dark and we start wondering where the guys were. I relaized that my dad left his phone at home, Binnie's phone is with Tina, and Trian wasn't replying. Great! no way to contact them. Finally, Tina decides to send a "rescue party" to find them. After a couple of minutes, the 2 boats returned and Ilai was jumping up and down as if the guys were on Survivor and this was the first time they were coming back. We learned that the reason why it took them so long to come back was the fact that they were catching so much fish that they lost track of time. With the sky getting darker by the minute, we scramble onto the boat to head for dry land.

When we reached the port, we saw mean loading up fish by the truckload. Trian asks the men if he could have his picture taken with 1 of the big fishes that they have (probably to brag to his Romanian friends). They agree and Trian selected a big one as his "catch." Binnie, being the funny guy that he is, joins the photo as the awe-struck bystander.



We stopped by Tina and Binnie's house to freshen up and then went to Morong, where my dad's former officemate, prepared dinner for us. We stuffed ourselves to the brim and quickly said our goodbyes (eat and run).

Needless to say, it was a very tiring but happy day. I was with both my family and friends.

1 Comments:

  • we did so much that day it was worth the gruelling drive to the area... For some reason, i was tired that day... Prolly coz i lacked sleep...but i hope we can go back there again... i enjoyed the food, semi-fishing and sort of being a part of your family. Thanks for the wonderful sunday!

    By Blogger yamino matsuei, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home